Who can resist such classic charm as found in Happiest Millionaire; Meet me in St. Louis, Sound of Music or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers….
Admittedly most movies during that time are incredibly cheesy and truly over dramatic but I just love them! Why are they so appealing? I think they make us connect with a more romanticized time full of song, grace and happy cheerfulness. They offer an escape of reality and enable us to dream! Acting is so much more accentuated and over done but it is expected and never fails to amuse. Think of Walter Matthau and Michael Crawford in Hello Dolly, Burl Ives in Summer Magic, Peter Seller in Pink Panther or Jack Lemmon in the Odd Couple, Audrey Hepburn in My fair lady, Frank Sinatra in Guys and Dolls, Cary Grant in An Affair to Remember, Jerry Lewis in Cinderfella or Doris Day in Calamity Jane.
The best part that never fails to make me laugh or crack a smile is when people start singing in the most ridiculous moments. It is one of my ambitions to do just that one day, maybe on an awkward date or something, I will burst out into “The ugly bug ball” or “Just you wait Henry Higgins”. There is a plethora or fitting songs for every possible situation.
A recurring theme seems to be when girls become of age and someone tells them to know how to attract the handsome young men they are madly in love with (or vise versa). I remember watching these movies as teenager with my family. Robby and I usually ended up laughing our heads of. Here are some of the best examples. Enjoy!



5 comments:
I love these movies, but it is Cary Grant in An Affair to Remember.
its true, i've never noticed that trend. how very insightful of you week.
oh my goodness! You are so right Kris! I can't believe I mixed those two up :)
Haha, yes, please bust out singing on a date. But wait until I can be there with you :)
Bahahaa... when you we go on said double date with the two lucky fellows (I'm still working on some fabulous details :) it wouldn't be awkward enough for such drastic measures in the first place. Also I would be revealing a side of my personality my date might not be ready to see yet :) But just maybe I'll oblige you. One never knows.
Post a Comment